Thursday, June 20, 2013

what to do #3



I thought I was dreaming the first time I heard about this. I still have a hard time believing any human being was able to conceive something so brilliant: during the Boryeong Mud Festival, many wonderful things such as mud pools (where mud wrestling may take place), mud slides, mud prisons, mud marathons, mud skiing competitions, mud showrooms, and colored mud for body painting are set up. There is also an abundance of delicious food as well as parades through the streets, and the festival closes out with a spectacular firework display. The festival began in 1998 as a marketing ploy for Boryeong mud cosmetics, which were developed due to the high mineral content found in the mud and the medicinal qualities it is considered to have--not that I need an excuse to roll around in a giant mud pit or receive a mud massage.

The city of Boryeong is right smack in the middle of the western South Korean coast. It boasts many cultural sights and much natural scenic beauty, as well as Daecheon Beach, which is an excellent swimming/mud-washing-off spot.

I'm pretty sure the Korean language course I'm taking includes a field trip to this festival, so I really can't wait to experience it! I've never done anything like this before and it sounds like a blast!

Three days until departure...!

No comments:

Post a Comment